Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Death and the Matron by Hans Baldung Grien

Looking for a piece to discuss this week, I always found myself flipping back to this painting.  I can't help but to look at it and then look at it again.  It grabs my attention and I have no choice but to stare, even though I don't really want to.  This piece pretty much haunts me.  The look of agony of this women is conveyed so well, I feel her surprise and pain.  The way Death is taking her is terrifying.  His grip in her hair, and how tight he is holding her side makes me feel on edge.  Could you imagine those boney hands on your body?  It freaks me out thinking about it.  The artist really did a great job in getting me to feel as if I was the one being chosen by Death.  I think the contrast between the plumpness of the woman and the boney-ness of Death really does a lot to show how unpleasant of an encounter this is.  I like that there is not a lot of negative space, there is no need for anything else in this painting.  The story is right there between the two figures.  I don't need to know all about the surroundings, I see everything I need in the woman's expression.  To me, this really shows the surprise of Death, you never know when he will sneak up behind you.  Besides the emotion of this painting, I also like the limited colors used.  They work really well to me.  The paleness of her skin and fabric against Death's sickly yellow really draws me in.  I only hope she somehow found peace after this awful encounter with Death.

7 comments:

  1. I agree with your response to this piece. I do not like it, but it is still one that I cannot seem to look away from once I am on the page. It is emotionally gripping and though the story seems complete, we still fill in the gaps of the story with our imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The kiss of death!!! haha. This piece is indeed creepy, especially seeing the expression on her face really gives it that suprised by death vibe. I really like the use of color to bring out the skeleton, but still leaving the women as the main subject. Very haunting and mysterious. Interesting piece

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This painting creeps me out. But I feel its warning girls to protect your bodies and protect them like a temple or you will have nothing left to show of yourself. Its very hunting and gripping but it makes a very important statement.

      Delete
  3. I love this painting! Not because I'm creepy (well, maybe a little), but because I love the way the artist was able to make us feel as if Death is breathing down our own necks. It is a very emotional and intense piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is creepy too because her face looks so scared, and his is so crazy looking. I think the artist did a really good job too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the feeling of knowing your death is near; Death himself caressing your body, something about this makes me think that no matter what time it is, or what you are doing, death will get you, one way or another. Also, i am used to seeing Death asa the Grim Reaper, i.e Robed Skeleton, however, this figure is a withered man(?) looking like he is taking away her essence. another spin on Death perceived by another. rather amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this piece is truly weird and creepy, everytime i look at it, it just makes me cringe. To think death being that close and "intamate" with you and knowing that its there can truly make someone go crazy with fear.

    ReplyDelete