Monday, January 30, 2012

Dieric Bouts Virgin and Child

Of all the different renditions of the Virgin and Child, this one is my favorite.  I like how it seems very natural, she is holding him close and in a loving way.  It really shows the bond that develops between a mother and her baby.  Their bond also shows in the way they are making eye contact, Mary isn't staring out to us and just pointing to him.  We know he is important and so I like that its as if they have forgotten the audience and seem to be captured in their own little moment.  This reminds me of a photo someone might want of them and their baby, making this more relatable to anyone who looks at it. I don't think the baby is quite right in the face, there is a level of maturity that infants don't really have.  But I do like the chubby tummy and arms, I don't think I've ever seen a skinny baby! :)

6 comments:

  1. I think you're right. Among many of the renditions of Virgin and Child, this one seems to be the most human. And yeah, babies are chubby! However, I'll agree, and say that, a portrait such as this should be nothing but loving, and convey the connection between the Virgin Mary and her child. I think it's important to show the importance of Jesus, however, for any believer, his importance is pretty understood. When it comes to this piece (Virgin and Child of any kind) I think the bond they share and the nurture Mary holds for Jesus is what should come across most.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wholeheartedly agree with both of the above comments. This is such a telling piece because it shows Jesus in His most human vulnerable state. Instead of seeing Him as royalty enthroned we can recognize all that was given up by an earthly birth. Yet the power of love is what drew Him here in the first place, so the relationship here is so well stated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also think this is the most realistic picture of virgin and child, because it looks the most loving. Most of the other pictures look stiff and unfriendly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This to me looks like the most natural and realistic rendition of the virgin and child. They are not dressed up to show how high of status they are. But, if you do know who the painting is of you will know how important these people are. The baby does look more like a baby as compared to a down scaled man. Which is a big plus to the painting. Mary's hands look a little too manly though but overall this is an excellent piece of art.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that baby Jesus does look too mature but in a way it captures the essence of him. But Mary looks somewhat annoyed, but still calm. I agree though that the originality of this piece, showing such an intimate moment between Mary and Jesus, makes it look much better than many other renditions of the same subject.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also like how the artist used very limited color in the clothing and background. This really helps to push Mary and child to the foreground and make them the focal point.

    ReplyDelete