Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Bharat Mata by Abanindranath Tagore

I had a hard time picking a piece for this post.  None of the pieces really grabbed me and so I've settled with this one.  This is a depiction of Mother India, a personification of the country India.  I like how simple this watercolor is, I like that the main focus is not on setting a place or time but instead it is on the women.  She represents what is good for her people by what she is holding.  In each hand she holds something important to how one should live, or to show that she has all her people need.  In the bottom of the painting there are lotus flowers which are of importance in Indian culture.  They symbolize divinity, fertility, & wealth.  They also represent triumph, because they grow up through mud and are still beautiful.  I think that is the main reason why they are in this piece.  It says that even if there are hardships her people must face, they still come out beautiful & strong.  I think this painting is peaceful and seems to be calming.  I like the use of the reds and yellows, they are lively and draw in the viewer.  She is warm and I feel as though I can trust her because she seems to be welcoming.  Overall I enjoy looking at this piece and picking out the meanings of the details.

4 comments:

  1. To me,this is also a peaceful and calm design. I love the warm, soft colors of golden light washed into the neutral colors at the bottom section of the painting.She has been depicted with two halos,and still has a peaceful and powerful pose. The four arms are a Hindu influence and the lotus flowers evoke more of a feeling of beauty.The lotus flower is a beautiful symbol of enlightenment, not just a pretty flower. It's interesting that the artist used the same colors of the lotus flowers and the first halo of Mother India.Watercolors are a wonderful medium because of the many color washes possible in creating depth and transparency. Could this painting also evoke love? It is almost angelic in the shapes of the halos surrounding her feet. Even though the drapery of her dress is not detailed,it has a regal quality to it. Still a piece of quality and symbolism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely took much more from this painting than I would have. Reading your comments and your idea of this piece gave me something else to think about it. I had to look at it again, and I see it completely differently now. Nice post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost chose to do this piece simply because of it's bursting warm colors. I love how smooth it is. I also like the symbolism behind each element of this piece. I love your comment, "It says that even if there are hardships her people must face, they still come out beautiful & strong." That's very insightful and makes me want to go to India, in hopes of finding such peace of mind. ^_^

    I think this is a beautiful piece and deserves more attention among Indian art. The Taj Mahal is awesome but, this here is gorgeous. Haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. For having a difficult time choosing a piece, you certainly do justice to this one. I think even Mother Teresa would agree with your words and be emboldened by your thoughts of pushing through hardship.
    It is such a wonderful representation of Indian art - showcasing some of their very distinctive style. Great choice and excellent observations.

    ReplyDelete